Friday, January 25, 2008

Pre Super Bowl Week Is So Depressing

Why is the week before the Super Bowl always so depressing? I guess it's that way whenever you have any big event coming up, like a high school class reunion, the birth of your first child or the season finale of Rock of Love. The anticipation kills you. It, like, puts your life on hold until it finally happens and then you can move on.

I'm sitting here looking at the large bags of potato chips, pretzels and scoopable nacho chips and the six-pack of Sun Maid Raisins -- my favorite Super Bowl snack -- sitting on the counter unopened, all snacks I purchased for the party we're having for next week's big game. There's a seven-layer dip in the fridge, too, that my wife made ahead of time, just so the top layer has time to solidify and force you to break through with your chip to get to the gooey core. And I already made my signature kickoff cake (pictured, above). I probably should have waited on that one, so it would be fresher, but I suppose if it toughens up a bit its texture will be more authentic, like pigskin. And then there's a whole keg of O'Doul's on the back porch, getting chilled in the Michigan winter... the perfect beverage for a group of Super Bowl Sunday partiers who are concerned about getting to work on time on Monday.

And I already purchased my square in the office Super Bowl pool. I've been staring at my numbers for the past three days -- and will probably continue to do so throughout next week -- trying to figure out what scenario would enable both teams to have a score ending in 9. Maybe if the game ends up in a tie, like 29 to 29, then they would split the trophy and I would win the office pool... It could happen.

Well, it's officially past midnight, which makes it Saturday. That means we're only eight days away now. It's probably good. I'll need the extra time to figure out what roman numerals to use for this Super Bowl decoupage I'm doing for my party. It's totally going to blow people away. I can't wait! Seriously. I can't wait.

No comments: